Why Russia’s travel advisory is a gift to the Trump administration
On Thursday, the Russian travel advisory was distributed to the Department of Homeland Security, as well as to the Office of Personnel Management, among other agencies, according to a statement from the State Department.
The Department of State did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The travel advisory said that in addition to the risks of travel to the United States, there is also a risk of “a significant reduction in the number of U.S. nationals in Russia.”
The travel warning comes after the Trump Administration issued its first travel warning, issued on June 25, which warned of the threat of a “significant reduction in U.s. nationals” in Russia.
The administration’s second travel warning was issued on July 15, the same day President Donald Trump signed an executive order to “reduce the number and nature of travel from Russia” and suspend all immigration from “the most dangerous countries.”
The White House later revised its travel advisory, saying that in the wake of the U.N. report, it was “concerned about the spread of false information.”
“As a result of these reports, the administration has updated its travel advice to make clear that travel from the most dangerous areas is not recommended,” the White House said in a statement.
The Trump administration has been under heavy criticism for its response to the Russia travel advisory.
Critics said it was too quick to react to the reports, given that Russian officials had already released a list of “suspicious” people in the U and from other countries.
“The Trump administration is a little bit paranoid and overly focused on the threat from Russia,” Senator Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat, said on Twitter Thursday.
“Now the Russian threat has a bigger target on its back.”
The U.K. government also issued a travel advisory on July 18.